Saturday, September 19, 2009

September 17/18 - Function Transformations

We spent time in class on each of Thursday and Friday talking about the more challenging function graphs that I posed on Wednesday. Those graphs were:
  1. y = v(|x|)
  2. y = v([|x|])
  3. y = [|v(x)|]
  4. y = v(1/x)

The main idea I want students to get from this activity is that you can always generate points on the "new" graph you are trying to draw by using appropriate points from the "old" (original) graph. The challenge is often in deciding which points to use and how many points to use.

Rather than posting my notes from class here, I have posted a file on my website that contains images of the graphs above.

On Friday in class, I handed out a copy of the first test from last year. Your test on Tuesday will be similarly constructed.

No comments:

Post a Comment